Lost HDD size and CPU speed!!

FareRam 20:58 28 Nov 2003

Recently tried to re-install XP on XP as I have done 98 on 98 in the past. Unfortunately left broadband on! Played havoc. Had to use an old Ghostwriter program which removed all files on my system so had to start again. But now my AMD 2600 2.13GHz CPU is coming up as only 1.25 GHz and my Maxtor Diamond 9 120Gb HDD only shows up as about 19Gb. What can I do?

Quiller. 21:30 28 Nov 2003

You have got yourself into a bit of a pickle. :)

First the cpu. It looks from your posting as if the fsb of the cpu has reset it's self to 100mhz. This would give you 100mhz X 12.5 ( multiplier ) giving you a clock speed of 1.25Ghz. If you reset in the bios to a 166fsb this would give you 166Mhz X 12.5 giving you a clock speed of about 2.08Ghz. This is near your true speed.

Now to look at the hard drive. When the machine post's, when it is booting up, what size is shown in the post screen. Or you could enter the bios and look at standard cmos settings. What size is displayed for the primary master hard drive? If it says 120gig, then this ghost writer may have done something to the drive, i have never come across ghost writer.

If it did show as 120gig in the bios then I would start the computer with an old 98 boot disk and see what the size is in fdisk. I would also look to see if the drive has been partitioned in anyway.

FareRam 13:59 29 Nov 2003

Thank You. Reset the fsb and now have 2.08 GHz speed.

Couldn't find a fault for the HDD in the BIOS but was planning on changing file system from FAT32 to NTFS. Lo and behold, on completion, my HDD is back to normal.

Cheers again.

Quiller. 16:14 29 Nov 2003

Good stuff :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?