Hot Topics

Lost email address book in Windows 10

indego 17:53 14 Feb 2020

Good evening all, I have a 2 year old Windows 10 laptop. I was in the middle typing an email and accidentally hit a wrong key on the keyboard and the email disappeared. I didn't check any of the folders to see if it was in there. The email should have had an attachment before 'disappearing'. I received a phone call from a freind asking where the attachment was. It was clear the email had been sent as a result of hitting a key other than the send key. The position now is, I can't compose email and cannot access my address book. When I try to enter a mail recipients name, it stays on the first letter and does not auto-fill. Typing in the full email address of the recipient does not allow mail to be sent after clicking the send button. Any suggestions most welcome and thanks in advance. I use Yahoo.

Secret-Squirrel 12:16 15 Feb 2020

Indego, click the Windows Start button, click the Power icon then choose Restart. Your laptop will take longer to boot up and settle down so be patient. Note that shutting down the laptop then turning it back on again will have no effect.

If that doesn't help then let me know the name of the program you use to access your emails (web browser or email client).

indego 13:46 15 Feb 2020

Thanks Secret-Squirrel for your help. There was some success last night. I have some how recovered my mails and address book, but there are issues you can, hopefully, assist with. Using your instruction to restart, as opposed to shut down, this did not have the desired affect, regretablly. I use Google Chrome and, typing in the first letter Y for Yahoo Mail, this puts Yahoo Mail straight into the browser. Hitting the go button takes me to the Yahoo Mail page where there are multiple options. Clicking on the top Yahoo Mail.This takes me to my Yahoo mail inbox. This where problems exist that did not exist before I lost the email referred to in my post. There is a marked difference in the time it takes for example, to compose and send an email. Clicking on compose, I enter the first letter of the recipient. This ususally opens the name. That doesn't happen now, there is a pause for about 3-5 secs. before the name appears. When the send button is clicked, there is pause for approximately the same length of time. Also when I try to open the address book, that too has the pause. Apologies for the detail. I would be much obliged if you could help with the current state.

Secret-Squirrel 17:02 15 Feb 2020

Thanks for the detailed description of your problem.

We now have to determine whether it's caused by your Chrome browser, your laptop, your Internet speed, or even a problem with the Yahoo website. I doubt it's the latter because on Google I can't see anyone else complaining of the same problem recently. Try this for me:

Close Chrome then use a different web browser to see if the problem is there as well or not. Windows 10 comes with Edge and Internet Explorer so you'll have a choice of at least two. If you don't know how to find them then simply click the Windows Start button and start typing the program's name - after just a few characters it should appear at the top of the list.

If everything works fine there with no annoying pauses then close that browser, open Chrome, click the three little dots top right then choose "New Incognito window". When it opens, close the main Chrome window and try Yahoo again in that Incognito window.

Let me know what you discover and also let me know if your Internet connection has been less perky than usual with websites loading slower than normal.

indego 00:43 18 Feb 2020

Hi Secret-Squirrel. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. There is no problem with my internet connection. In Yahoo when I open mail, there is a brief pause of about 1 second, which is a great improvement. Problem there is, I can't remember if that's the way the mails opened normally. However I'm happy with that. I have lost my auto spellchecker. I used to get usually a red line beneath the word that is misspelled. That doesn't happen any more. If I want to check how a word is spelled, I have to Google it. In settings Hardware Keyboard, there are two options. (1) Show text suggestions as I type. (2) Autocorrect misspelled words. They both show as being Off. It's late and I don't want to lose what I have typed, so I changed (2) to On and tried it, but it didn't work. Does that mean I would have to restart for it to take affect after changing to on?

Secret-Squirrel 10:17 18 Feb 2020

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but the instructions I gave you were for troubleshooting purposes only. They weren't intended as permanent fixes.

Before I can offer a fix for your Yahoo issue in Chrome, please let me know whether Yahoo worked fine in another web browser and whether Yahoo worked fine in Chrome's Incognito window. That's all I need to know at this stage.

indego 10:43 18 Feb 2020

I have hospital appointments today, but I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Secret-Squirrel 16:17 18 Feb 2020

I hope your appointments go well for you and reply when you can. I don't really need a detailed answer - just a yes or no will probably suffice.

indego 16:42 18 Feb 2020

Thank you for your message. It worked fine in Edge.

indego 01:07 19 Feb 2020

I have got my spell chocker back(deliberate, that). What I did was, open Google/Top right, clicked 3 dots/Settings/scrolled to bottom of page and clicked Advanced/Under Languages turn ON Basic Spell Check. Everything seems to OK now so thanks for your help.

Secret-Squirrel 08:45 19 Feb 2020

Everything seems to OK now..............

Ah, I never actually offered you any fixes so does that mean you're accessing your Yahoo emails in a Chrome "Incognito" window? If so then that mode isn't really designed for full-time use so try this to fix things so that you can access Yahoo in your regular Chrome:

Open Google Chrome, click the three little dots top-right then click on "Settings". Scroll down to the bottom of the page then click on "Advanced". In the "Privacy and security" section, click on "Clear browsing data". In the little windows that opens make sure that ONLY "Cached images and files" is ticked, then click the blue "Clear data" button.

Close Chrome then reopen it and hopefully Yahoo mail will behave itself like it used to.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to start your spring clean

D'oh! Simpsons infographic shows how bad the show's become

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Amazon Prime Day 2020