Loss of quality in jpg files

sheila.weston 14:05 25 Jun 2007

I realise that jpg files are said to lose quality each time they are edited, but do they lose quality each time they are *opened* just to look at? If so, would it work if I do a 'batch convert' to change them all to a *tif file? If so, presumably this would freeze them at their present state of 'quality'?

I want to sort out several thousand photos in my computer, as there are a lot of duplicates, which will involve opening them in windows fax viewer or in Photoshop.

Many thanks.

sheila.weston 17:17 25 Jun 2007

Thank you Brundle, Perseverence is the name of the game - I clicked only once and decided it wasn't working! All sorted now.

But the annoying thing about this is that right- clicking and changing the 'properties', eg title, obviously amounts to editing because it doesn't work if the file is read only. Yuk.

My sony DSC-T1 shoots only in jpg, so I can't shoot RAW.

Thanks,HS Sutton - you have given me a bit to think about. I do have phases of saving everything to TIFF and then revert to jpgs. I am due to do a full backup on to DVD-DLs so will keep the image files on a master-disk.

I'll mark this thread as resolved. Thanks all.

PalaeoBill 17:45 25 Jun 2007

I assume by change title you mean rename. It is safe to rename, this will not cost you anything in image quality.
You can right-click, go into properties, remove the read-protect, rename the file and then put back read-protect.

sheila.weston 19:55 25 Jun 2007

No, I want to right click, go to properties and the summary tab and fill in the spaces for the title and perhaps add a few lines in the comments box. I think that this is probably 'editing' - or is it?

PalaeoBill 09:10 26 Jun 2007

Oh, sorry my mistake.
Yes you can safely change the details in the summary tab, it will not affect the image. You will need temporarily remove the read only setting though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus