Looking for New Desktop Computer

hiwatt 14:46 19 Dec 2016

Hi Folks. Not been on here in a wee while. I'm looking to get a computer around the £300 mark.It's only to be used for basic internet browsing,online shopping etc.Nothing too demanding. Could anyone recommend a decent desktop around that price point. I already have a monitor(albeit with the older VGA connection) Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 19 Dec 2016

sounds like you want a Barebones PC just google for barebone

here are the offerings from Novatek click here

hiwatt 15:02 19 Dec 2016

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ It's for a christmas present(left a bit late,I know)and it would need an OS. I have windows 7 and really like it.The ones I was looking at in PC world etc come with windows 10 and a lot of people don't seem to like it. Is there anything anyone would recommend from any such shops? What about this kind of thing?click here is it possible to downgrade to windows 7 at all?

Also

rdave13 15:46 19 Dec 2016

Or something like this . Comes pre-installed with Windows 7 pro apparently. Only a 500GB hard drive but 7200 rpm. It also has a VGA port.

hiwatt 16:00 19 Dec 2016

Thanks for that rdave13. Would this pc be considered slow at only 1.6GHz? click here

martd7 16:07 19 Dec 2016

This isn't bad,choice of which operating system

click here

rdave13 16:13 19 Dec 2016

hiwatt, Don't think much on your second choice, Win 10, no VGA and a low celeron CPU. I think mart7 's choice is the best and spot on for £300 and free delivery.

hiwatt 16:37 19 Dec 2016

Is that last system not geared towards gamers and such? It's just for my girlfriend who's computer skills don't go beyond browsing the web,shopping and watching youtube :) At least I've got a few ideas. I may have to pay a bit more as I would like her to have a monitor with it actually as the one she has is around 10 years old. P.s what is the problem with windows 10 anyway?

rdave13 17:05 19 Dec 2016

I have no problems with Windows 10. It takes a few minutes to get to grips with if you're used to Win 7 and not used Win 8.1. Have you thought of getting a monitor to go with mart7's suggestion?. It's not a gaming machine but will run smoothly for what you need. Especially if you want to watch Youtube in HD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 19 Dec 2016

browsing the web,shopping and watching youtube :)

sounds like all she needs is a tablet :0)

martd7 23:10 19 Dec 2016

System with monitor just a lower spec cpu Amd 4300

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch