Looking for a new basic laptop

bumpkin 19:50 30 Apr 2018
Answered

I am not a great laptop fan as the ones I have had in the past have been pretty useless in terms of battery life and speed. They were both given to me however so I shouldn't moan. Ny current one is an old Toshiba Satellite Windows 8 and despite a new battery only lasts an hour or so and incredibly slow. I was looking at this click here cheap one. Any opinions on it for basic stuff like browsing and dealing on ebay without it taking forever to react.

Secret-Squirrel 08:50 01 May 2018

I was looking at this cheap one.

It's likely to be disappointingly slow with just 4GB of RAM and a sluggish (5400RPM) mechanical hard drive.

I recommend you aim for an 8GB model with a SSD. If you're not planning on saving a lot of stuff then a 128GB SSD will probably suffice. Such a model will cost roughly £150 more.

A lot of laptops these days have appalling screen and audio quality so I also recommend that you try before you buy. Your local PC World would be a good place to road-test it as most display models have music files pre-loaded and an active Internet connection. You can always buy from Argos after making your decision.

Aitchbee 13:56 01 May 2018

Aldi are currently selling [in store] a basic £200 14" Notebook with over 5hrs battery usage

click here

Forum Editor 14:03 01 May 2018

The truth is that if you buy a very basic machine now, you are likely to be dissatisfied with it fairly quickly.

Take note of the comments made by Secret Squirrel, and then look at our laptop buying advice before you take the plunge.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 01 May 2018

The Aldi one only has 2G RAM hardly enough to run windows never mind anything else.

My old Compaq ran win 7 with 2G RAM and was awful better with Win 10 I use it for work presentations its too slow for much else.

I'm also looking for a new laptop but it is going to be a compromise between cost and speed and how much I'll use it as I work off the desktop mostly.

bumpkin 17:11 01 May 2018

Thanks for the replies. I was tempted by no5 in FE's post (sorry could not get a link to work) but it is still only 4GB RAM. Looks like I will have to spend more money or not buy one as I don't need one really.

Secret-Squirrel 09:19 02 May 2018

If you're happy with a 14" screen then here's one for your consideration Bumpkin.

Enter your postcode on the right of the page, click on "Collect in store" and it'll tell you which stores have it on display.

By the way, it's not a genuine "mega deal" item because £429 is actually the true cost of a laptop with those specifications. Anyone who paid £580 for it was robbed.

bumpkin 19:35 02 May 2018

Thanks SS, thats looks a bit better if I can find one anywhere else for around the same price.

Ian in Northampton 20:53 02 May 2018

Just too throw a spanner in the works... I think the Argos Acer is pretty - very - well specified for the price. I'm not sure I understand why S-S thinks 4GB is insufficient - I run several desktops with 4GB or less and am very happy with the performance. Sure, SSD will always be better than 5400rpm - but, depending on usage patterns, it could be not really worthwhile for the extra price.

bumpkin 22:40 02 May 2018

Now more confused. The Acer is more in my prefered price range but I hate slow things but I suppose that it only relevant to ones past experiences of laptops.

Secret-Squirrel 08:18 03 May 2018

Ian, there's no such thing as a fast £300 laptop.

Go into your local PC World and have a play with a 4GB laptop that has an old-fashioned mechanical hard drive then do the same with an 8GB/SSD model and you'll soon see what I'm talking about.

That extra £129 will be money very very well spent ;)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment utiliser l’Apple Store Éducation ?