Looking for hardware using 98 se

pottsy 21:05 06 Mar 2003

Formatting c with 98se
after loading 98se onto my computer[motherboard built in 95]with 10 min's to finish and looking for hardware, it locks up, turning it off / on a few times it finishes loading , but now my problems are only true colour 16 working, sound board not working and no u s b location , has anyone any suggestions

MAJ 21:10 06 Mar 2003

Sounds like your drivers aren't loaded, pottsy. Go to Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclaimation marks beside those entries. If there is, remove the device, starting with your graphics card, reboot the PC. Your card should then be detected and you will be asked for drivers.

pottsy 22:16 06 Mar 2003

Sounds like your drivers aren't loaded, pottsy. Go to Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclaimation marks beside those entries. If there is, remove the device, starting with your graphics card, reboot the PC. Your card should then be detected and you will be asked for drivers.

Have been into device manager ,deleted sound because the exclamation was by it, also by the cirrus 5446 driver.
Now when I turn on I get message ’Your display is not configured properly , to correct click on hardware wizard ’searches for plug and play , device is listed below cirrus logic 5446 . Then I get ‘device already installed , but has problem’, and proposes solution.
Under device status ‘device not present ,not working properly , or incorrect driver [code 24]
I tried upgrading in windows drive wizard [with no luck] it says best windows driver installed
If I delete cirrus in device manager will I loose the picture on the monitor ?

Ironman556 23:24 06 Mar 2003

I'm unsure what teh Cirrus Logic is, is it a monitor?

Try going to display properties, by right clicking the desktop, active destop, and then customise. Select settings, advanced, then the monitor tab. Click change and put a standard monitor in.

If that works ok, then either leave it as it is if there are no problems, or try going to the manufacturers site and downloading the latest driver for it.

Ironman.

woodchip 23:34 06 Mar 2003

It's the graphic card you need to load the right drivers for the card you should have them on disc someware if you got the card new. Also have you loaded the motherboard drivers

Ironman556 23:40 06 Mar 2003

To change the graphics driver follow as I put above, but use the "adapter" tab instead of monitor, and change to a "Standard VGA" This should give you 256 colours I think, you'll then need to install the manufacturer's drivers for the card.

Ironman

nick.p 17:11 07 Mar 2003

Hi Pottsy,maybe a long shot,but did you still have your printer and/or scanner connected when you loaded 98se.
This can sometimes confuse the loading process,
something to do with NTKERN.VXD.
If you did have these connected,disconnect them
and reformat/reload.
This was a known problem to Microsoft and help is available from them,but to be honest reloading is quicker and easier

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?