Looking for boot loader

billyliv 19:46 23 Apr 2004

Hi, One of my machines has XP as master and ME as Slave. I have been looking at the download sites for a boot loader which will give me the option of loading either Xp or ME. Any recommendations will be gratefully digested. Thanks, Bill

Diodorus Siculus 19:52 23 Apr 2004

click here

Only yesterday Fred Langa mentioned one:

9) Multiboot Manager

Dear Fred: OSL2000, is a slick multi boot manager that allows up to 100 bootable partitions, multiple copies of the same system, boot from a second hard drive, boot from a logical partition and more. I'm using it now to boot Win98FE from a second primary partition on my new 40G Hitachi drive with an 8meg buffer that turned my aging 300mhz Dell Inpsiron 7000 laptop into a screamer. My next step is to install Win98SE over a copy of my working system and give it a tryout, then move onto installing Linux.

With the new drive and OSL2000 it's like a whole new machine. You can find OSL2000 at click here it's shareware with nag screen until you subscribe.

Thank you for the great publication.--Arn

Thanks Arn. Just to keep terms straight--- a boot manager lets you select which of several (or many) OSes to boot to. Your PC can have many OSes installed, and you run them one at a time; each OS "owns" the PC while it's running.

A Virtual PC ( click here ) also lets you have many OSes on your PC, but they run concurrently--- you can have several OSes going at the same time, and jump between them.

Both ways have their strengths and weaknesses; both ways let you have multiple OSes on one system--- which is very handy, any way you do it! <g>

billyliv 20:06 23 Apr 2004

Thanks, Works charmingly. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?