Looking for advice on new laptop (Info in post.)

hebbocake 11:42 11 May 2018

Hi,

I'm searching for a replacement laptop of the one I have right now. (Lenovo Y50 2014)

It's going to be used for standard schoolwork, running multiple virtual machines (3-4), watching movies and gaming. My school has as recommendation that I have 16gb RAM, a big harddisk with good speed and an I7. (Or something comparable.) I also am looking for good build quality since it's going to go through much abuse in my bag and at school, a nice IPS screen and good speakers.

I would like for it to not look too "gamer". And have an RJ45 network port. (But this is not essential since I can also use an adapter.) It would also be nice if it is lighter and thinner than my old Lenovo, but I could live with it not being that.

Battery life isn't that important. It's nice to have good battery life, but I was always tethered to the wall with my old one, so I'm not that bothered.

I live in the Netherlands and my budget is max 1300 euros, but it is preferably around the 1000-1100.

I myself am looking at something like this: click here

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 11 May 2018

A lot of modern laptops don't come with a HDD usually only a SSD (256Gb) which means you'll need to save some money for a 1 or 2Tb external HDD.

Otherwise your choice looks Ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Anthem review-in-progress

Illustrator and children's author Owen Davey on maintaining success with his animal and art mastery

WWDC 2019: Dates, what to expect, and how to get tickets

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans