Looking for advice on new laptop (Info in post.)

hebbocake 11:42 11 May 2018

Hi,

I'm searching for a replacement laptop of the one I have right now. (Lenovo Y50 2014)

It's going to be used for standard schoolwork, running multiple virtual machines (3-4), watching movies and gaming. My school has as recommendation that I have 16gb RAM, a big harddisk with good speed and an I7. (Or something comparable.) I also am looking for good build quality since it's going to go through much abuse in my bag and at school, a nice IPS screen and good speakers.

I would like for it to not look too "gamer". And have an RJ45 network port. (But this is not essential since I can also use an adapter.) It would also be nice if it is lighter and thinner than my old Lenovo, but I could live with it not being that.

Battery life isn't that important. It's nice to have good battery life, but I was always tethered to the wall with my old one, so I'm not that bothered.

I live in the Netherlands and my budget is max 1300 euros, but it is preferably around the 1000-1100.

I myself am looking at something like this: click here

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 11 May 2018

A lot of modern laptops don't come with a HDD usually only a SSD (256Gb) which means you'll need to save some money for a 1 or 2Tb external HDD.

Otherwise your choice looks Ok.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment utiliser l’Apple Store Éducation ?