Longest Range Router?

mobad 17:35 08 Apr 2007

I am looking to spend up to £150 for a new wireless router.
Currently I have a belkin Pre-N router, however the connection does seem to drop now and agin and the main issue is the Firewall/NAT.

I want something with a longer range and known for not having many issues.
Any recomendations pls?

Ashrich 21:39 08 Apr 2007

Draft N wireless routers are just that , Draft , not yet the finished article , and the ones that are out are expensive for what they are by the time you have bought the compatible adapter for your laptop or PC , the two will almost certainly be above your £150 budget . The Belkin Pre-N is highly thought of and usually reliable , have you tried a firmware update ?Also , Draft N although they are faster at normal range do seem to drop speed very quickly compared to Pre-N or Mimo so although the range is a little better , throughput isn't as good at distance , so Draft N is a bit of a Curates egg , only good in parts .

Ashley

mobad 03:42 09 Apr 2007

I've tried all firmware updates upto even the unreleaed 1.01.04 but still the firewall issue is causing me too many problems (even when switched off). I have been told the sitecom mimo XR WL-153 is very good, so Im considering selling my Pre-N for this.
What are your opinions?

PP321 12:35 09 Apr 2007

i had a Linksys WRT54g and i upgraded the firmware HyperWRT form here click here

It boosts output power by 400% !!

the firmware is available for free, if your nice to google :)

Ashrich 00:34 10 Apr 2007

If you are using a laptop to connect then a D-Link DSL-G624M for an example click here combined with a D-Link G-650m pc card adapter would be a big improvement on what you have at the moment .

Ashley

mocha 00:35 10 Apr 2007

Hi mobad,
I have a Belkin Pre N Router, what is the problem with the Firewall.

mobad 23:38 10 Apr 2007

Even when I have set the firewall to be off its still on?

ArrGee 11:03 13 Apr 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?