Logon Process Initialization Failure

bredagh 15:19 21 Aug 2007

My laptop is installed with Windows Vista Home Premium and I recently installed Norton Internet Security 2007. However when I turned on the computer the next day before the normal logon screen appears where I enter my password a black screen appears with a small error window stating:
Logon Process Initialization Failure
"Interactive logon process initialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details."

I have no idea how to solve this problem, I cannot even get into the system to uninstall the ptential cause of the problem which is the Norton software

malgall 15:25 21 Aug 2007

in xp you can boot up in safe mode i asume vista can do the same

rawprawn 15:30 21 Aug 2007

Can you get into Safe Mode (Keep Tapping F8 on booting) and try system restore from there.

bredagh 16:03 21 Aug 2007

I have tried to boot in Safe mode but exactly the same problem occurs.
Also when I tapped F8 it gave me 11 options to chose from:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last known good configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

I also tried the "Last known good configuration" but the problem occurred too!

rawprawn 17:06 21 Aug 2007

Can you boot from your Vista CD?

bredagh 17:14 21 Aug 2007

I don't think so as I upgraded from XP to Vista using an Acer Upgrade DVD so I don't think it would work. Also it would have to be through the 11 options listed above I think?

rawprawn 17:32 21 Aug 2007

Sorry I don't know of any other ways, this is an abject example of failing to back up. When you get sorted out I suggest the first thing you do is to get a good backup program such as Acronis True image. I do not mean to be unkind, and maybe someone with more skill than me can suggest another work around.
Good Luck

rawprawn 17:34 21 Aug 2007

Another thought. You may have a recovery partition on your Acer, but that would take you back to factory settings.

zarobian 17:40 21 Aug 2007

From the 11 options select the first option 'safe mode'. When startup is complete,go to Accessories-->System tools and then select System Restore. When system restore is up select the restore point prior to the installation of Norton Anti Virus.

'Z'

bredagh 17:43 21 Aug 2007

what do u mean by recovery partition?

bredagh 17:45 21 Aug 2007

thats the thing zarobian, even when I attempt safe mode the same problem occurs....the startup does not complete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)