Login & password nag screen

Joe G 19:22 31 Jan 2010

Every so often I get a red rectangle on the screen telling me that my login & password has changed and there is two spaces to enter these and cancel & Ok buttons. I always cancel or close the box as I assume it is malware but does anyone know what it is? There is no logo in the red box.

I am running Vista on a Toshiba laptop with Avira and Malwarebytes installed both of which I have run and they have not picked this up.

Thanks for any help

Joe G 19:41 01 Feb 2010

Just got this screen again - anyone any ideas what it may be?

Joe G 19:55 01 Feb 2010

Thanks Maj - I'll do that next time it happens but can you telll me how to get the screenshot - not done that before - cheers

Joe G 21:59 01 Feb 2010

Thanks very much for that - really useful

Here (hopefully) is the link to the screenshot

click here

Joe G 22:52 01 Feb 2010

Thanks for that - had a look through the Processes but as I don't know what many of them are it was hard to see if anything was running that shouldn't be. The data drive isn't password protected. I woud have thought if it was a legit operation it would have some recognisable logo on the login splash panel?

lotvic 00:56 02 Feb 2010

It seems to relate to whatever Forum you have open in IE - at bottom of your screenshot you have IE open and it says 'Forums - Login & P....'

Joe G 22:31 02 Feb 2010

Thanks for that - thought it may be a clue but then realised the forum I had open was this one and it was showing the minimised tab was showing the title of this thread!

Any more suggestions?

Joe G 23:29 02 Feb 2010

C:\ProgramData\sysReserve.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Could be the problem?

Joe G 00:35 03 Feb 2010

Well that wasn't it so still stumped :(

rdave13 01:27 03 Feb 2010

Your link of the screen shot shows that awful red hue of Avira antivirus ugh.
Anyway try running your security apps in safe mode.

Joe G 13:25 03 Feb 2010

Ok thanks - will try that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Amy Cesal's Play-Doh infographics bring fun and colour to datavis

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Modifier un PDF : les meilleurs éditeurs PDF