logging on a computer over a network

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:12 14 Nov 2004

hi is it possible to log onto another computer over a network?.i have a working network that can share files and a printer,if this is possible,how do i do it?.thanks ben

woodt 23:24 14 Nov 2004

Try this click here

Urotsukidoji 11:42 15 Nov 2004

rather than get another piece of software to do it as woodt advises, first things first

how many pc's on network.
what o/s are you using on each machine?
how are you connecting?
are you using router/switch/crossover cable

what have you tried to do?

the more info the easier it gets!

Have a look at click here

It's free.

Urotsukidoji 14:24 15 Nov 2004

before anyone else suggests another piece of software they can buy/ d/l off the net etc that you have to install, configure, and work out how to use....

what my post was trying to find out, but here i will make assumptions, is do you have XP?

if the answer is yes, use remote desktop between the two, it is a simple matter of ticking 2 boxes and presto you get a remote desktop to the other machine, where you can use that machine via r/d as if you were sat next to it.

no software to install
easy to use (any muppet can tick 2 boxes)
free!

if you have a mixed network (ie 98/me and xp or something similar) you will need to install tsclient or terminal services on the xp cd, again easy, free, and only a little file to install

personally would not use cob's suggestion as i find it parochial and twitchy, it is also a pain when it decides to open ports on my router. don't go there

caveat emptor

Urotsukidoji 14:49 15 Nov 2004

as i said i assume both machines are running xp

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:22 15 Nov 2004

thanks alot for your suggestion,they both have windowsXPHE network connected by ethernet crossover,2 computers,100mbps,but none have Pro,ill take a look at links later,cheers all.ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?