Local Area Connection / Ethernet Problem

mikejd1972 22:48 09 Oct 2005

Hi,

At present I have a 4mb net connection with Blueyonder, connected to the ethernet port. However, when I check the status of the Local Area Connection in the icon tray it reads 100.0 Mbps, it should read 400.0 Mbps. How do I change this?

Also, when checking the activity status it is read in packets rather than in bytes, again any way of changing this??

Finally, when I open the Network Connections as well as the Local Area Connection icon there are two 1394 Connection icons, both of which read as 400.0 Mbps speed but no activity!

Cheers

Mike

mgmcc 23:53 09 Oct 2005

<<< However, when I check the status of the Local Area Connection in the icon tray it reads 100.0 Mbps, it should read 400.0 Mbps. How do I change this?>>>

You have a 4Mbps connection with Blueyonder, not 400Mbps!

The 100Mbps speed indicated is the speed at which your ethernet connection is running, i.e. the speed at which the connection between the network adapter and the cable modem runs - it is not the speed of your internet connection with Telewest.

<<<there are two 1394 Connection icons, both of which read as 400.0 Mbps speed but no activity!>>>

These are Firewire connections, which are probably not in use, unless you connect an external hard drive or video camera by Firewire. It is normal behaviour for them to show as "connected".

<<< Also, when checking the activity status it is read in packets rather than in bytes, again any way of changing this??>>>

Not that I'm aware of. Why is it of interest with an uncapped broadband service? There are third-party applications to monitor the amount of traffic transferred over a network connection.

johnnyrocker 23:55 09 Oct 2005

you have it wrong, what you are reading is the speed of the connection between your pc and your internet source click here and run a proper speed test and you will find all is well.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:56 09 Oct 2005

gotta type faster;)

johnny.

mikejd1972 00:00 10 Oct 2005

Cheers! Looks like I did get most of this post wrong then and everything is working as it should!! At least I now understand what the 100.0 Mbps actually stands for.

Now Telewest has been bought buy NTL I'm hoping they wont impose caps sometime in the future.

Thanks

Mike

johnnyrocker 00:03 10 Oct 2005

quite likely i'm afraid

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?