Loading XP & 98 SE

User-402BA281-1CFE-4FE3-9D45502C58B38958 23:07 19 Jun 2003

I have XP and Win98SE on 2 independant drives, the only way i can load either up is by going into bios and manually changing the boot sequence, i find XP a pain to attempt to partition and to be honest i have been told its not a good idea, is there any other way to get a menu to ask what drive you wish to load like on 98 when it ask's you for safe mode etc. The master drive is XP and the Slave is 98SE obvoisly

p.s excuse the spelling cherers Stuart

Brian-336451 23:14 19 Jun 2003

If you buy PM8, it comes with a very useful Boot Manager that gives you the choice of OSs on start up.

The rest of the programme is superb, but the bit you want is BootMagic.

woodchip 23:33 19 Jun 2003

What about trying Boot Partition from click here

stlucia 08:43 20 Jun 2003

Just last night I installed Win XP Home Edition upgrade on my E:\ drive, leaving Win 98SE on my C:\ drive. By installing XP as a "new installation" when given the option (even though it's sold as an upgrade), and telling it to install to a different drive (it even gave me the option to partition an existing drive) from the one that 98 is on, it's automatically given me a dual-boot facility without needing any other software. After the bios and memory check screens, it now prompts me to choose which operating system I want. Brilliant!

Someone else might be able to tell you which file holds this dual-boot information, and how to edit it, so that you don't have to re-install XP or install any othe software to get a dual-boot facility.

Despicable Desperado 20:19 20 Jun 2003

The file is called boot.ini and looks a bit like this:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP )Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

powerless 20:28 20 Jun 2003

Has it, but:

Go to start > Run > Copy and Paste:

C:\boot.ini

Click ok. You should note there are no spaces between the lines but because of this forum i will have to add spaces in between the lines.

Add the following line underneath the last line that you have.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98"

So you should have have:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Save the file and reboot.

powerless 20:29 20 Jun 2003

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

spikeychris 20:42 20 Jun 2003

XP is the easiest Windows platform to partition and it is a good idea..

As above with Powerless, you can though change the timeout if you wish..its up to you

number69 20:47 20 Jun 2003

on xp
go to start
run
type msconfig
select bootini
then you can select the default system
and the count down time to if you wish to make a choice

Thanks powerless that work to a point now when i choose win98 only it asks me to istall hal.dll in windows root\system32 an on what OS do i this on cheers Stuart

powerless 14:20 21 Jun 2003

The boot.ini file contains an error.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?