Loading programs on to slave drive.

graham√ 19:38 26 Sep 2003

I have conned my old '95 into accepting an 8GB hard drive as a slave, albeit as only 2GB. I then loaded my copy of Works, but was not given the opportunity to select the destination drive and it has loaded onto the master drive, which is almost full.

Any suggestions, please?

MichelleC 09:00 27 Sep 2003

Why not transfer your data files over to slave, leaving main progs on 'c'?

LeadingMNMs 09:04 27 Sep 2003

Can you not make the second drive a 'Master' on another of the cables - theres usually two ports for HDD and CD.

Does the operating system recognise the new disk ? From my experience Win 95 did not recognise HDD any bigger than 2G, and so usually created several, all at about 2G in size. Are you sure when you check 'My Computer' there are not multiple HDD.

graham√ 09:19 27 Sep 2003

MichelleC, thanks. Do you mean the data files of Works, 'cus that's all that's on at the moment? If so, how would I transfer them?

LeadingMNMs, thanks. The 8GB won't be accepted as master, I think it's a motherboard thing. No multiple hard drives, just master and slave.

I'm now going to try to instal my Office 97, see if that will load onto the slave.

MichelleC 09:47 27 Sep 2003

What I meant was put ALL data from master to slave, leaving just os and progs on master. That way any reinstall of os or format of master and you've got your data intact.

bremner 09:54 27 Sep 2003

When you installed and were presented with the detination could you not just overtype with the destination you wanted?

graham√ 09:58 27 Sep 2003

bremner, no, the option was not given. I've just installed Office 97, and was able to change the destination to D. Some stuff still had to go on C, however, I guess to access the Registry.

Big Elf 10:59 27 Sep 2003

If you boot into DOS you should be able to use the FDISK command to create 4 2GB partitions. It's a long time since I did this so I can't remember all the steps. There have been a few threads on this subject though so it may be worth searching for the exact steps. I would recommend uninstalling any programs you have on the second drive before you start.

graham√ 11:18 27 Sep 2003

Big Elf, good morning to you. You're correct of course, going to need some help on this, having looked at the options on Disk 2 under FDISK! I'll have a look round for previous threads and tick this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?