live file monitoring backup software

rsturbo 00:21 15 Dec 2003

i have a pc with a 'c' and a 'd' hard drive (2 drives in total), i need a program that i can tell to monitor my docs folder and outlook express folder (and any other i specify), each time a file is updated or added to these folders a backup is created on the 'd' drive. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help

currently using w98se but probably upgrading to xp in future

rsturbo 16:22 15 Dec 2003

does not support raid, just need a simple program to backup certain folders - thanks for posting

Diodorus Siculus 17:42 15 Dec 2003

I think your best bet is to run a backup program on a regular basis: say when your screensaver kicks in. Something like EZbackup works in a few minutes as it only copies files that have changed / are new.

I don't know of one that will be able to do it on the fly without user intervention.

Big Elf 12:38 17 Dec 2003

This is an extract of the batch file I use to do my backups. The command is slightly different in earlier Windows versions. I think you would use xcopy32 instead of xcopy and the date should be in the format 17/12/2003 but I'm working from memory so you may have to tinker.

xcopy c:\data\*.* /S /R /Y /d:12/17/2003 d:\data

I also have another batch file which opens up the backup.bat file and I use search and replace to change the date. Someone will probably be able to give the batch file command that automatically inserts the current date.

It won't work automatically each time a file is changed but you can create a shortcut to it.

Big Elf 12:40 17 Dec 2003

P.S. The above example copies sub folders and automatically overwrites the files on the destination drive without prompting.

Big Elf 12:51 17 Dec 2003

I do apologise. I failed to read your post properly.

Big Elf 17:52 17 Dec 2003

Me too. The example I gave should have a space between the d: and the 12 i.e. /d: 12/17/2003

Diodorus Siculus 22:07 17 Dec 2003

From all of this, I am left wondering if there is any software that does what rsturbo wants?

rsturbo 22:37 17 Dec 2003

i now have to work thru them and decide which is best for my requirements. thanks to all for the informative posts, will post back soon with decision :)

rsturbo 16:40 18 Dec 2003

fair price, ease of use and available (can't find datakeeper)

thanks for all your help - its much appreciated

happy xmas :)

Big Elf 17:19 18 Dec 2003

Am I missing something here? I thought QuickSync would only work with Zip, Jaz, Peerless, PocketZip made by Iomega.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Forza Horizon 4 review

Be Warned Mac users - Mojave Breaks Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs