linux / xp duel boot??

;-) 22:10 01 Sep 2005

hya ppl this is my first post on here and i was wondering.....

Would it be possible to set up a duel booting system on my pc running linux for web surfing and windows for games?
If so how?and how easy would it be?

xp is allready installed and there are no partitions?

octal 22:18 01 Sep 2005

I can only speak for Xandros the one I'm using, but with most disto's it is very easy, this tells you how in Xandros click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:19 01 Sep 2005
  ;-) 22:28 01 Sep 2005

thanks ppl will need to set aside a day,
I have got a second hardrive i was gonna fit but its an ultra ata not a serial ata, tho im not sure of the differance can it still be used with my existing drive?

DieSse 23:40 01 Sep 2005

"I have got a second hardrive i was gonna fit but its an ultra ata not a serial ata, tho im not sure of the differance can it still be used with my existing drive?"

The dofference is the interface woth the computer - one is parallel and uses a wide 40 pin connector - the other uses a small connector.

You can attach the second drive if your system has suitable connectors - most do, a few newer ones may not.

You will also need an 80 wire IDE cable.

Or you could buy an external drive enclosure, and attach it via a USB cable. Internally the enclosure converts the normal connector to a USB connector.

martjc 12:08 02 Sep 2005

...try Ubuntu Linux. If you contact me I'll send you a copy of the live cd - in which the OS runs from cd - and the full installation. It's quite good and will dual boot with XP with no problems. e-mail me at [email protected] if interested.

Good luck.

;-) 16:41 02 Sep 2005

thanks ppl you have given me much help and now i just need to get cracking think i will return the hardrive tho and get a serial drive to make things easyer.

Thanks again ppl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?