Linux and Windows Hard Drives HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nazrat 20:26 11 Jun 2003

i have installed Linux on one of my hard drives and it does not want to boot it only boots windows i tried formating the drive and fdisk it but they both did not work can someone please help me get this sorted also the drive is not reconised by Windows but i need the drive in use but can't find a way to delete everything off the drive can some PLEASE HELP ME!!

nazrat 21:19 11 Jun 2003

please help me someone

LastChip 21:44 11 Jun 2003

Linux formats in a different format, to Windows, which is why, you can no longer see your drive in Windows.

Did you load Lilo; the Linux Boot Loader? It is this program that allows the system to dual boot, which means you can select which operating system to boot into at start-up.

If not, go into the BIOS, and make sure the first boot device is selected to CD Rom, and you should be able to re-load Linux from your CD, making sure you select this option when offered, to use a boot loader.

Alternatively, you can use Fdisk to remove the Linux partitions from your drive and re-format them back to whatever you had; FAT32 perhaps? It would be a shame though, as you will be missing out on a superb operating system, that has much to offer. You must appreciate though, there IS a steep learning curve, and it requires patience to learn ANY new system; remember the first time you used Windows?

However, if you really want to recover the drive to Windows, you have to go into Fdisk, and choose the option to Delete a non-DOS partition. Once each partition is deleted you can then re-partition the drive and format as desired!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?