Linux offerings please, a simple media player

JonnyTub 20:42 22 Jan 2005

Hi all, I'm about to embark on pulling an old mod i put together a while ago into pieces. The mod consisted of me building and old pentium 2 into a video player with a large hd and network so i could stream music, etc into the tv/surround sound system without it looking out of place, anyway what i want to achieve now is along the same lines except without a windows os. My dad is building a clubhouse at the back of his garden for the family and has asked if i could arrange a music system that doesn't require cd's, etc, etc, basically all music pre-recorded to the 40gb hard drive.

I have done a little bit of research and found linux to be favourable, basically because it's hi-fi software, you switch the pc on, it boots in seconds (not unlike a hi-fi) and you have access to plenty of songs using an idiot proof menu system, no os to log into, no hassle.

The only offerings i seem to have found are by running a "live cd", but this poses problems as my machine only has space for a hd after it's all screwed together, would anyone know, by any chance of a linux offering that will boot from the hard drive without all the gubbins of an os, and simply give the user options such as. View songs, choose songs, play, pause, ff, etc, etc.??

Apologies if this isn't quite clear.

ashdav 01:01 23 Jan 2005

there is a linux player called kaffiene. you'll still have to install the kernel ,at least, or nothing will work. Mandrake 10.0 community (the free one) contains kaffiene.

JonnyTub 09:42 23 Jan 2005

thanks ashdav, will look into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)