Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) not installing MS Fonts

csqwared 20:48 18 Dec 2016
Answered

I've run ttf-mscorefonts-installer from Synaptic Package Manager and although it says it's installed fonts are not appearing in Libre Office. Folder usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts is there but empty. Not had any problems with other flavours of Mint. Any ideas would be appreciated.

bretsky 22:57 18 Dec 2016

Running Linux Mint 18.1 Serena desktop and just installed said font package and all appears OK in LbreOffice program and usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts folder.

Try rebooting. If still no joy, remove and re-download & install.

csqwared 14:07 19 Dec 2016

Thnaks bretsky but I've tried all that with no luck. A bit of a puzzle as I've used Mint since 'Helena' and never had an issue with this package. I've still got live CD's of previous versions so I'm going to try and run a LiveCD, install the fonts, copy the msttcorefonts folder and paste it back into current version. I'll post back with results.

LastChip 14:09 19 Dec 2016

Try opening up a terminal and typing the following:

sudo fc-cache -fv

You'll then need to enter your root password.

They've probably not registered in the system and the above command should deal with that.

csqwared 16:00 19 Dec 2016
Answer

Thanks LastChip but too late I'm afraid.

While you were posting I was faffing about trying to copy from a LiveCd to USB stick but my command line skills are limited and failed miserably.

Based on bretsky's comment I then proceeded to do an upgrade to 18.1 Serena which has solved the problem and installed the fonts during the upgrade process. I should have checked back here before doing that as I will now never know if your solution worked. Hopefully it's there for someone else that's struggling.

Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch