Linux live CD am I doing something wrong?

alternator 09:40 07 Dec 2007

Firstly please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I am trying to get a Linux live cd working. I downloaded LiveCDTR2.iso file for PCLinuxOS. I then burned the file to CD as is (should I have extracted it or something) and tried it in two computers (both with cd as the first boot source, but they just booted into Windows. Any advice on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

stephen0205 10:21 07 Dec 2007

hey there, u need to burn the file as an image, use nero or alcohol 120, there both good, just double click the file and should come up askin to burn in u r default burning software

alternator 10:32 07 Dec 2007

Thanks stephen, I didn't have any problem burning the file onto the CD. I am just wondering if I have done it correctly. I used Nero and just dragged the file onto the Nero page and hit burn. I am just wondering do I need to select anything other than burn ISO disk. Is there anyway of checking the CD to see if it has been burned in the correct format.

dth 12:19 07 Dec 2007

It will not work if you burn the iso download as a file. You need to create the cd/dvd using the image option and then add the iso download. This will then create a bootable cd/dvd.

For example if using nero express - you would select the option called 'disc image or saved project'.

alternator 12:29 07 Dec 2007

Thanks for that, I presumed I was being a bit of a numbty. I'll give it a go, and report back

octal 14:49 07 Dec 2007

This might help click here scroll down the page for Nero.

octal 14:54 07 Dec 2007

If it helps this is what the CD files look like after you've burnt the CD click here

alternator 15:40 07 Dec 2007

I am pretty sure that is what I have done using Nero 5. I followed the wizard as suggested options I used were "Other Cd formats>Create cd from an image file you are then presented with the dialogue box to select the iso file and then select burn.As a side note there is a note to say nero will burn the image file with a .nrg extention, is this where I am going wrong. Would following the wizard as suggested give a different result.

Looking at the cd with windows explorer I get:
similar details to the one you show:
Windows icon for a folder "boot" File folder 14/02/07
Windows icon for a folder "isolinux" File folder 14/02/07
Window icon "livecd.sqfs"705,936kb sqfsfile 14/02/07

Again thanks octal not sure if it just me being dim

skidzy 16:03 07 Dec 2007

click here Excellent guide with freeware tools.

alternator 16:23 07 Dec 2007

I think this is pretty much what I have done with Nero. I will try and do another cd with nero the way they suggested to see if it makes any difference. Then I will have runout of 80min CDs I have 74min ones but they don't seem quite big enough.

alternator 16:39 07 Dec 2007

Thanks - I was wondering about that. It is just that the websites you go to to download the PClinuxOS are a bit of a maze, there is not just one nice download button to press you have to select from a number of options, can you suggest a website where it is straight forward to download the final version of PClinuxOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?