linux advice

ĀÕL иàťﻍŗ 17:07 27 Jan 2003

hi all i want to put linux on my system on a seperate partition but i have very little funds.

can you advice me of the best (and cheapest) way to create a seperate partition preferably without reformatting my whole system and if i can create a partition for linux.

also were would i find a copy of linux the download is far to big for my 56k modem and how much space would i need for the new partition.

i hope i have been clear enough in my intentions

thanks

Lú-tzé 17:19 27 Jan 2003

Partition magic 9 is currently £30 in PC World - the easiest way of partitioning a hdd.

Can also be done for free with fdisk - but this method loses everthing on the hdd.

Too much to download via 56modem though - sometimes various versions are on Cover Disks of comp mags.

Lú-tzé 17:22 27 Jan 2003

click here for cheap linux cds.

Stuy 18:16 27 Jan 2003

A linux distro normally comes with a partition manager as part of the install process. They do the job but remember to back up just in case.

muppetmark 19:17 27 Jan 2003

If you just want to trial Linux visit click here and download and run from CD

woodchip 19:26 27 Jan 2003

You do not need a partition for Linux, But you do have to create some free space to load it best about 3Mb. As above Partition Magic You will only have to shrink you C:\drive You will not loose any info on your disc You do not need a partition for Linux, But you do

woodchip 19:28 27 Jan 2003

will need a DVD player in your comp you DVD version you check PC Plus for a Free Linux distro

woodchip 19:30 27 Jan 2003

Sorry about that check PC Plus for a free Linux Distro.

DVD version

zanwalk 20:21 27 Jan 2003

In addition to the links above link try this for a very good source of info on the various flavours of Linux available:

click here

Also, if you do want to try running Linux from a CD, email me (envelope by my name) and I can let you have a copy.

redelf 13:44 28 Jan 2003

The latest copy of Linux Format (maybe Linux Forum) magazine has a distro which will run Linux direct from the CD. Mag costs about £5 or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?