Linksys Wireless Router - connection problems

Ian39 20:12 21 Mar 2007

I have just bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, to use with a Virgin Media broadband connection. The laptop I am using is an Advent 7109B (Celeron M), with a built Ralink wireless LAN card.

I have installed all router software and believe the router to be working ok. The laptop detects the Linksys network when I view all wireless networks available.

However, when I try to connect it either returns “no network available”, or if it does connect I only get “limited connectivity”, and am unable to connect to the internet. The connection speed is very slow, and this limited connectivity tends to disconnect after a few minutes. The router has a built in firewall, and I have tried disabling the windows firewall to see if that helped the connection, but it had no effect. Not sure if I need to the configure router settings, if so how would I do this?

I have been trying for a while now and beginning to wonder if a very long Ethernet cable would be the answer!!! Grateful for any help anyone may have.

skidzy 20:25 21 Mar 2007

IF the security is enabled,you may need to enter the WEP/WPA encryption key.

a.nonymous 21:46 21 Mar 2007

can u actually get on the web?

Migwell 00:25 22 Mar 2007

You can ring Lynksys they have what is the best help line I have ever come accross. When I had big troubles with mine, a wag54gs I called them and they would not let me go off line untill I and they were happy and that took about 2 hours. That was a free call to Linksys in India through the number posted for the UK. The number is 0800 026 1418 you then take option 1 on the auto answer system. Go on give it a try, you have notheng to loose and every thing to gain.
Migwell

Kate B 00:42 22 Mar 2007

I would try an ethernet cable if you can get one long enough. It's best to sort out getting online with a cable and rule out any issues there before you figure out the wireless connections.

Mad Mick 07:49 22 Mar 2007

I am with Migwell. Their helpline is excellent, use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?