Linking a printer to laptop via wifi

HappyGoth 02:23 02 Dec 2016

I'm probably being pretty stupid, but can someone clarify something for me. I have installed a new printer (Canon 5750) which is linked to my Windows 10 laptop via a Virgin Media Superhub. I've had problems where the printer is printing rather erratically and won't print one page but will another. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this and I have tried to sort it out with no luck. I want to ask - when I want to print something, does the signal from my laptop go via the router and then to the printer or does the signal go directly from the laptop to the printer? I'm wondering, If it is the former, could the problem be the distance of the router away from the printer and laptop. The router is upstairs in a room with a PC and several rooms away from the printer, plus it's in an old house. Any pearls of wisdom would gratefully received. Thanks.

john bunyan 07:40 02 Dec 2016

Just to help diagnose the problem I would temporarily connect the printer by cable to a PC to see if it works normally without wi fi

Secret-Squirrel 09:02 02 Dec 2016

........when I want to print something, does the signal from my laptop go via the router and then to the printer or does the signal go directly from the laptop to the printer?.............

Your Canon printer supports both modes. If you need to switch to the printer's built-in wireless network from your laptop every time you want to print something then it's the latter. Most folks setup the printer to connect to the router and your laptop then communicates to the printer via the router.

.....via a Virgin Media Superhub.........

Unfortunately the "Super" hub's wireless capabilities are notoriously poor so your problems could be caused by a poor connection between router and laptop. As a test, move the printer a lot closer to the router.

HappyGoth 01:27 06 Dec 2016

Well, here's an update. I decided to try a direct connection as I came to the conclusion that the signal between the printer and the router was weak and erratic. I eventually managed to get the direct connection done, but after further reading found out that I couldn't print while my wifi was online. What's that all about?! It was OK when printing a document or email already on the laptop, but of course I couldn't print anything online! And having to physically turn the wifi on and off on my laptop was a ridiculous faff!

Anyway, I decided that using a cable connection was the way to go. I've never had such a palaver setting up a printer!

I would be very interested if anyone has a comment to make. Thanks for both of you for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?