linking 2 standalone pcs

  pookie 13:26 16 Jun 2004


i have 2 pcs. the first is 3Ghz, 1gb ram which i use only for gaming off line. i don't use it for internet at all. the other pc is old p133 with 98se on it. this I use for internet/ anti-virus etc. it does not have a cd-rw.

if i download game patches/drivers/etc to my internet pc what is the best way to transfer them, and install them, on my gaming pc? or do i need to buy a cd-rw? is there a cable that connects the 2 and lets one pc view the contents of the other and transfer the downloaded files across?

many thanks


  vinnyo123 13:35 16 Jun 2004

You can use a crossover cable to link both PC's together and share files.If they both have NIC cards.Then run network wizard on both and you should be good .On the other hand not sure how your Internet PC gets to the NET (through NIC card) You can install another NIC or just unplug CAT5 for Internet and use crossover to transfer files and then back to Internet cable.

Hope this makes sense!

  ste_bla 13:35 16 Jun 2004

You have a few options;

CDRW, USB Pen or Network them.

CDRW Be cheapest option

  woodchip 13:40 16 Jun 2004

To share files get a USB link cable. It comes with software that you install on both comps about £16 at a Computer Fair

  byfordr 14:06 16 Jun 2004

Cat5, Cat5(e), Cat6 (if you have 10/100/1000 network cards) crossover cable should be about £5 depending on length and type. If not £20 cd burner, £50 dvd burner, £15 USB memory card, external hard drive £80+ to name but a few.


  Tog 14:16 16 Jun 2004

Or you could buy a parallel cable and link them using the printer port. Both the links below give you guides to home networking, but considering the costs, a cdr and a 10-pack is probably your cheapest and most reliable option. Or, if you don't mind using steam driven technology, get a file splitter and use your floppy drive...

click here

click here

  pookie 14:22 16 Jun 2004

many thanks for replies

i'll go the cd-rw option - should i be worried about the psu in my old pc not being up to the job. the old pc doesn't have any other drives/power hunger graphic cards/etc - also is it only a 133mhz processor still ok for a cd-rw?

  zoomer 14:28 16 Jun 2004

IMHO all things considered the best option is two NICS and a crossover cable, less than £20 delivered

click here


click here

check the NIC is ok for ure PC's, read the info, otherwise choose another brand, plenty there.

  ste_bla 14:41 16 Jun 2004

It all depends how far are your computers, are you willing to permetally leave a network wire out 24/7 coz after a few times of moving it you will get annoyed and also probably damage the connectors like i did (not proud just human)

  ollie < one> 14:50 16 Jun 2004


  pookie 09:00 17 Jun 2004


cd-rw option is out as i checked various cd rwriters and all need higher than 133mhz and 48mb ram - or do you know differently?


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?