Link from websites

Kernow999 14:36 09 Jul 2005

I am trying to e-mail a link of a website but it does not recognise the e-mail client. I have clicked on the arrow by the envelope etc.
It wants me to set up an e-mail although I have OE running fine (now).
It mentioned about clicking on the Microsoft Exchange icon to set up but I cannot see that.
I am using XP.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

octal 14:42 09 Jul 2005

I'm not too sure what you are trying to do, it might be me miss reading what your are saying. If you want to send a web link, just copy and paste it into the message pane and send it.

pauldonovan 14:49 09 Jul 2005

You say you are trying to email a link of a website.

Do you mean send someone a link you've put in an email OR click on a link on a website to send an email?

Lots of people use different websites and different email programs and different web browsers so you'll need to explan (unless someone else is familiar with it) what "arrow by the envelope" is !?

I suspect you are trying to click on one of those 'email us' type links on a website and it isn't starting an email in OE ? THis is a guess as it isn't 100% clear from the above.

If that is the case, it might be that outlook express isn't your default email program for some reason.

If you go to the start menu, do you see "Set Program Access And Defaults" ? Click on that.

One of the 'configuration' options will be set e.g. the "Custom" box might be activated. If custom is 'on', click on the "double down arrow" to the right of it and make sure outlook express is selected as your default email program.

I reckon it will be something to do with that if i've interpeted the problem correctly.

Eric10 15:23 09 Jul 2005

I think this is the Mail envelope on the IE toolbar. Clicking the down arrow to the right of the envelope opens a menu with options for: Read Mail, New Message, Send a link, Send Page, and Read News. If you click 'Read Mail' does Outlook Express open or do you get the same problem? If you do get the same problem then in IE look under Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab and make sure Outlook Express is selected as your email program. This is just an alternative method to set the default email client as mentioned by pauldonovan.

Kernow999 15:44 09 Jul 2005

Sorry Guys, I had just finished a night shift!

I clicked on Read Mail and OE opened up and my e-mails were there. However, when I click on "Send a link..." ie if I wanted to send this particular link to an e-mail address it wants me to start Microsoft Outlook, whick I do not use.
OE is my default e-mail client....

Thanks again

octal 16:09 09 Jul 2005

Oh right, gotcha now. Follow Eric10's suggestion and make sure OE is the selected program in your settings.

Kernow999 16:21 09 Jul 2005

Tried that, and Microsoft Outlook comes up without an option for Outlook Express.
I don't use MO.
OE is my default e-mail.
Really lost now.
Any other ideas please?

pauldonovan 17:02 09 Jul 2005

Hadn't ever used those buttons in IE.

This sounds mighty similar and has a resoution:

click here

This sounds mighty similar and has a resolution:

click here

This sounds mighty similar and has a resolution:

click here

pauldonovan 17:03 09 Jul 2005

Sorry for triple post :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?