link desktop and laptop for file access

johnincrete 11:01 01 Jan 2019

i want to be able to access files on my laptop from the desktop and vice verca. I have a router connected to the phone line, A wire from the router goes to the telephone handset, A wire goes via the LAN1 socket to the laptop and another via the LAN2 socket to a wall socket where it connects with the house wiring down to the desktop. The router also has WIFI that I connect through to my smart phone. Can I do something that allows linking of my two computers? When replying, please note that I am computer illiterate!!! I live in normally sunny Crete (toay it is raining!)

Forum Editor 11:30 01 Jan 2019

You should be able to see one computer from the other via the WiFi network, and provided you have enabled file sharing you'll be able to open files that are stored on the other computer and/or transfer copies to the computer you are using at the time.

If none of that makes sense, one of us will provide a more detailed, step by step explanation.

BRYNIT 11:53 01 Jan 2019

This should help CLICK HERE You will need to have both computer and laptop on to use Homegroup file sharing or you can use something like Onedrive which is Microsoft's cloud storage.

Forum Editor 12:10 01 Jan 2019

If you have Windows 10 Version 1803, Homegroup will no longer be available to you, but you can still share files and printers using the sharing facilities built into Windows 10.

johnincrete 05:54 05 Jan 2019

i should have said that i use windows 7 because some software i use often will not work in 10 Forum editor: what is a WIFI network? yes i will need simple step by step instructions

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans