Link 3 Pc's Together without using a Server

mulva42 11:03 20 Nov 2003

I want to link 3 Pc's together without using a server so 3 people can access the same data.
Is peer to peer an option,If so how does this work as i'm not to sure.

DieSse 12:25 20 Nov 2003

Peer-to-peer would be the normal way to run a small network. It simply means that all three systems are linked together to share data, printers, internet access - as required - but all of them are independant in their operations - none of them are the central repository of all the data/programs.

You need a Hub - or better, a switch - which will come with at least 4 inputs. In each computer you have a NIC (network interface card) - and a cable to the hub/switch.

Windows has all the software required to do the sharing - though it requires some setting up.

You can also do the same thing by wireless - it's more expensive, but can be more flexible.

If you want to share a broadband net access, this requires the use of a router - which can have the hub/switch built-in, whether it's cabled or wireless.

This is just a simple outline - it's not difficult, and there's tons of information about how to do it on the web.

DieSse 12:36 20 Nov 2003

PS - it depends a lot on what data you want to have shared - for instance, WP files and thelike are no problem - sharing Outlook data is a different kettle of fish entirely.

mulva42 12:49 20 Nov 2003

Thank You for your help.
This more than answers my Question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?