A Level Home work questio(s)

Young Ranger 19:03 29 Sep 2004

In her notes on a PC build my daughter has written "The soundcard was connected to the ISA slot and a cable from the soundcard went to the motherboard". The teacher has under lined the word motherboard and written "X No!"

Can any one tell us what should have been written?

My daughter has also written about installing programmes and testing them to make sure that they work. Teacher has commented "You need to configure the programmes." What does this mean?

JonnyTub 19:05 29 Sep 2004

In her notes on a PC build my daughter has written "The soundcard was connected to the ISA slot and a cable from the soundcard went to the motherboard". The teacher has under lined the word motherboard and written "X No!"

the cable should have went to the cd or dvd rom drive

bremner 19:05 29 Sep 2004

.........went to the DVD/CD Player - would be accurate.

By sitting the card in the ISA (or now PCI slot) connects it to the motherboard. Connecting it to the CD ROM enables music discs to be heard.

JonnyTub 19:08 29 Sep 2004

the school must be using an old pc for the project "build" as isa slots are rarely used in modern pc's for soundcards which are now mainly pci slots.

JonnyTub 19:10 29 Sep 2004

with regard to configuring a programme, it depends on the context, are you talking about an everyday programme installed from a disk, such as microsoft office, etc, which doesn't need configuring or talking about a programme the children have written to control something (such as an electrical arm?) which needs configuring before the arm will accept commands?

Young Ranger 19:16 29 Sep 2004

Did you the sound of foreheads being slapped?

Yes it is a very old PC. These A level studies are being conducted in separate building from the main school block and so they are not connected to the main network.

They use Win98 but the rest of the school uses XP.

They are encouraged to buy flash drives so that work can be taken home but the drivers have not been installed for Win 98.

There is a bees nest outside the window so it cannot be opened during the hot summer weather.

Young Ranger 19:19 29 Sep 2004

We are talking about every day programmes which as you say I didn't think needed configuring but teacher seems to be looking for something here.

JonnyTub 19:20 29 Sep 2004

sorry by "children" i mean tennagers.

as for bee's nests, huh?

JonnyTub 19:22 29 Sep 2004

perhaps the teacher is referring to firewall or antivirus products which usually need configuring or updating before they become useful

Young Ranger 19:26 29 Sep 2004

That sounds like possible. We will give that a try.

Thanks a lot for your help.

VoG II 19:26 29 Sep 2004

In installing hardware and software, configuration is sometimes the methodical process of defining options that are provided. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?