Lessons from new Dell XPS 13 - backup plan changed

john bunyan 18:00 11 Apr 2018
Answered

I have just set up a new PC and was originally considering the back up plan I have on the desktop, that has a SSD (C) with OS and a SATA with data. On there I use Macrium for imaging the C drive and Synch Toy for the data (D) partition. However I had a bit of trouble partitioning an old laptop and this looks too complicated on the Dell. I bought a 128 Gig micro SD that fits into a slot in the Dell and becomes D drive; I am going to continue with weekly Macrium images but of all the C drive where data is, and have set up the windows 10 continuous back up to the SD card. Here is the disc layout Further lessons to be learnt. NB why is C Drive encrypted with bitlocker - I did not do it? Can it be cloned?

rdave13 18:48 11 Apr 2018

john bunyan

Have a look here . New to me but then I've never owned a Dell.

rdave13 18:49 11 Apr 2018
Answer

Wrong link, click here.

john bunyan 19:20 11 Apr 2018

rdave13

Thanks for the link! I will let things settle for a while but good to know bitlocker could be turned off... I have now got 2 user accounts - one each for my wife and myself. I am putting I tunes with individual accounts and libraries in the separate User accounts but am thinking of putting documents and photographs in the Public libraries to save faffing about with separate folders. Am on a learning curve; just got Miracast to work from Dell on TV via a MS Miracast dongle....

rdave13 19:28 11 Apr 2018

Your documents and Pictures folders can easily be shared. Just right click and hover over 'Give access to' and select the other account name.

john bunyan 19:48 11 Apr 2018

Thanks, dave

john bunyan 20:27 11 Apr 2018

As ,I think, all my Data will be in the Users folder I can also use SynchToy to mirror copy it to a USB HDD as before; The only thing is that Macrium images will take a bit longer than on the desktop. Will compare times once I have loaded more of my stuff from the desktop

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?