Lenovo Yoga 900 keeps crashing (CPU/GPU?)

Globetrotters_Inn 05:16 18 May 2019

Hello, I have an 3y old Lenovo Yoga 900. It keeps crashing when it reaches 100% CPU. The CPU also peaks super fast to high percentages for a short time when I start Chrome, Streamlabs or connect it to a second screen for example. The cooler goes always with the same speed as the processor goes up.

I reset the whole OS and cleared ALL data to insure there is no problem from any software. But it keeps crashing. The screen flashes shortly to a black screen and all services stop (bluetooth connections get disconnected, flash and HDD stop copying cause LED stops flashing) I hard reset after that and boot it up again and nothing... no crash report what so ever and everything seems normal again... till i trigger it again by opening 2 programs or something like that.

CPU temp is normal (50-70C) It doesn't slow down, freeze or something. It just crashes.

The monitor sometimes flickers as there would be a connection problem with the display. I don't know if it has something to do with it though.

Here are the specifications:

Lenovo Yoga 900-13ISK-80MK0072GE (Yoga 900 Series)

ProcessorIntel Core i7-6500U (Intel Core i7)

Graphics adapterIntel HD Graphics 520

Memory8192 MB, DDR3L 1066.7 MHz

Does anyone knows what that causes? What diagnose report do you need for more information?

Thank you in advance for your help

Globetrotters_Inn 06:20 18 May 2019

Update:

I downloaded the Lenovo test program. CPU, RAM, Battery etc. is OK it says. But when I run a GPU memory and stress test the laptop crashes instantly. Nothing else is running. The newest drivers are installed after the reset.

The monitor sometimes flickers as well as there would be a connection problem with the display.

Does anyone knows what that causes? Is it possible to fix that without buying a new processor? What diagnose report do you need for more information?

Thank you in advance for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 18 May 2019

Run a memory test on its own.

Globetrotters_Inn 11:31 18 May 2019

Same result

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:12 18 May 2019

Still crashing on memtest then remove mem and test with one module at a time looks like one of your memory sticks has failed.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

How to Brand a Film Festival, Saul Bass style

How to install the iOS 13 beta on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleurs ├ętuis et housses pour Kindle (2019)