Lenovo Think Centre M900 tiny crashing constantly

Ethan_Lewis 10:25 27 Sep 2018

So I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 tiny with an i5-6500T processor, SSD, it crashes once maybe twice a day over an 8 hour working shift. I do data valedation in magento 1&2 so have lots of excel spreadsheets open but I find it doesnt matter how much or how little I have open, it crashes reguardless.

What happens is the screens stop responding, the mouse will still be free to move for about a minute across the frozen pages before stopping too then this wont resolve itself and requires a hard reset- I've treid waiting half an hour before and still nothing. My worst day was 12 crashes and on average its 3 a day.

This has gone on for a year now and in that time I've had a Lonovo technician come out and take a look, he changed the motherboard but still the issue stays the same, Ive tried more RAM, less RAM, the CPU is fine, I'm running off ethernet, loads of free disk space, not alot saved onto the memory. Its even been whiped entirely and rebuilt. I cant download any dodgy viruses as I dont have admin permissions so it cant be that either.

I cannot find a single reason for it to be having this issue

Anybody had the same issue before and managed to have it resolved?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:02 27 Sep 2018

what shows up in event viewer after it crashes

Ethan_Lewis 13:16 27 Sep 2018

It says unexpected power loss or unexpected shutdown, something along those lines just because I have to hard reset it

Secret-Squirrel 17:28 27 Sep 2018

A few things for you to try Ethan (in the order shown):

1) Head over to the Lenovo Support site and see if there's a BIOS update available.

2) Resetting the BIOS to its defaults may help too.

3) Less likely to be relevant given what you've described but heat could be a problem especially in an ultra-small form-factor PC like yours. Use your favourite monitoring software to keep an eye on the temperatures. If you don't have one then HWmonitor is effective and free and the ZIP version doesn't even need installing . Note that the download link is the purple one top-left called "ZIP - ENGLISH".

4) Even less likely to be of any help but check the Event Viewer logs for anything that occurred immediately before the computer freezes.

Note that you'll need Administrator permissions for suggestions one and three.

Secret-Squirrel 20:06 27 Sep 2018

.............see if there's a BIOS update available.

I forgot to mention that if the BIOS upgrade fails because your computer freezes then the result will be catastrophic. It's unlikely to happen but proceed at your own risk.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs