Lenovo or HP 14" i7 with 256 GB SSD 8GB RAM

Erika Enslin 23:30 28 Jan 2017

Hi all. I urgently need some advice and opinions. I would like to replace my HP Pavilion 15 i5 with 6GB RAM 1TB hard drive for a notebook/laptop with a SSD.
So I may have narrowed it down to the Lenovo Ideapad 510S i7 6500U 14" 8GB RAM 256GB SSD with 2GB DDR3 AMD graphics card. Or the HP equivalent which is the Pavilion 14 i7 6500U 8GB RAM 256GB SSD with 4GB FX SLV graphics card.
The obvious difference seems to be the graphics card. But I'm not a gamer. I spend a lot of time on the internet, I download a lot and I run Light Room and PhotoShop. Also a lot of work on Excel. But seriously, a whole lot of online stuff and downloading. I'm not hugely impressed with my current HP so I have no problem changing brands. The reviews I have read about the Lenovo seems really good. But I can't find a review for this particular HP as I've stated above. A review of the closest HP I could find on notebookcheck.net, didn't give the HP a very good review. Main weakness they said was the wi-fi connectivity and the speed.

Does anyone have any opinions?

Forum Editor 10:49 29 Jan 2017

Moved to Tech Helproom from Speakers Corner.

Forum Editor 12:11 29 Jan 2017

I use a Lenovo when travelling on business. It's my reliable workhorse, so I'm a little biased. I have owned two Lenovo machines, and both have been excellent - no complaints at all.

Based on my own experience, and on your intended use of your machine, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Lenovo.

Erika Enslin 12:35 29 Jan 2017

Thank you so much. Your opinion has just swayed me the Lenovo way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?