Lenovo IdeaPad 320s or 510s - help with choice

ricksavery 13:24 02 Mar 2018

Possibly an unanswerable question but I've got to ask :-)

The spec for both is roughly the same - i3 7100U, 4GB and 128GB SSD, and I will probably swap out the RAM and SSD for something larger, but can't make my mind up which is best. The 510s is £380 and the positives for me are the backlit keyboard and the screen surround matches the rest of the laptop rather than the usual black. The 320s is only £330 and doesn't have a backlit keyboard and the screen surround is black, but it's £50 cheaper and has a free M.2 slot inside, so I could have an SSD and a HDD, should I wish.

Small issues i grant you but it's filling me with indecision. Appreciate it if anyone has strong opinions either way, or knows something I don't - very possible!

Thanks all

Rick

Forum Editor 16:53 02 Mar 2018

Take a look at this.

And then look at this.

I am a big Lenovo fan, and I think I would be going for the 510s.

rdave13 18:38 02 Mar 2018

I would hang on for a while. Spectre issues need to be addressed and are being so slowly. An i3 Intel 7th gen CPU not as good as a 6th gen i5 and the i5 will be a tad more expensive. Microsoft just published an update for skylake 6th gen, and others, against Spectre. It's a microcode update from the windows update catalogue.

As Windows 10 changes every six months or so, next one early April at a guess, then it gets a tad more heavy on the CPU.

As you're going for a laptop don't curtail your choice to a certain manufacturer but look around. I would certainly recommend Intel over AMD but Intel are certainly in a hurry to rectify the biggest bollocks they've ever dropped. i5 sixth gen minimum I would recommend.

Just my opinion though.

ricksavery 20:15 05 Mar 2018

Thanks both. rdave13 I certainly have looked around - to the point of madness in too much choice! I can't pretend to entirely understand about the Spectre issues, but I think I get your general point.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 8 Review

Adobe confirms it’s working on a full Photoshop for the iPad

Apple announces new MacBook Pros for 2018

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?