legal ?

  oldnovice 06:03 24 Oct 2004

I'm replacing hard drive and changing my 98se to xp home can i sell 98se i have the book with the reg code and boot disk all are original Thanks Dave

  Simsy 06:22 24 Oct 2004

an OEM version, unless the OEM came with the hard drive, (as opposed to the complete PC), and you sell the hard drive with it.

If it's the full retail version, and the XP version you have is a full version, not an upgrade, then, as I understand it, you may.

If the XP is an upgrade version, then your version of 98 is, effectively, part of the XP installation and you are required to keep it.

As usual, I'm open to correction!



  Rogerfredo 09:12 24 Oct 2004

First point is that if you are shelling out for an official copy of XP, then Mr,Gates should be happy.Second point is that if you have all the original disc and registration etc,morally you should be able to sell on with a clear conscience.
Thirdly, how is anyone going to find out, and would Microsoft really want to pursue the letter of the law in this type of situation?

  Mr Mistoffelees 09:55 24 Oct 2004

I don't see a problem with what you want to do. I sold my old copy of 98SE, also with the original manual and code, to an American, via eBay, for nearly £90 two years ago. I was very pleased!

  oldnovice 11:17 24 Oct 2004

Thanks for replies i think i'm safe to sell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?