Leaving Virgin Media - Are my emails safe ?

boney80 00:44 02 Sep 2018

I access my Virgin Media emails via imap on a "connected account" to my Outlook.com email address. I understand that Virgin will remove my email account after I leave them, but will my old emails remain within my Outlook account?

Menzie 02:56 02 Sep 2018

Running a backup of the emails would help to ensure that you have a copy of the emails locally for use.

There is a guide here showing details of how to perform a backup in Outlook.

1]: [click here

boney80 11:38 02 Sep 2018

Thanks for the reply, but the guide is for people using the Outlook software client. I just use their webmail. I believe my Virgin emails will be safe as they are presumably copied onto the Outlook server as I receive them... my concern is that when my Virgin account is deleted, the imap side of things will cause them to be deleted from the Outlook server. Admittedly, I'm no expert so I just wanted confirmation from somebody who knows how these things work.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9