Leaving external hard drives on?

exdragon 23:04 12 Jun 2010

Hi - I've just had a momentary power cut which naturally turned off all my computer stuff in the middle of what I was doing. I've got everything plugged into an Intellipoint 1click, including a couple of external drives and two printers.

I usually switch on/off the external drives and printers manually, because I thought you had to remove the drives via the 'Safely remove hardware' option in the System Tray, and each time the printers go on and off, they use ink doing a cleaning routine.

Also, I use Acronis to back up to the externals, but if I schedule the back ups and the drives aren't turned on, of course the back up doesn't happen.

Getting into a bit of a mess, aren't I!

So - do I leave everything on all day or do as I have been doing, manually turning the drives and printers on and off as required?

At least I backed up everything yesterday...

jack 12:25 13 Jun 2010

Individual needs and perceptions
For example if your printer[s] do a clean every power up - then it is wise to leave on.
Drives are a matter of choice I feel.
There are those 'Econo' socket strips that split between stand by and fully off- intended for TV/Recorder use.
Also another unswitched socket strip connected to the mains then the switched socket strip to the first strip may be an answer - connect on all the time the first strip all else to the switched strip.

rdave13 12:55 13 Jun 2010

I'd think about investing in an UPS then at least you will have time to shut down properly if power off for some time. With a momentary power cut then the UPS takes over and nothing crashes.

exdragon 16:27 13 Jun 2010

Yes, that was another thought. I'll probably wait til it happens again!

karmgord 19:47 14 Jun 2010

the smart socket switches the peripherals off AFTER the computer powers down,this makes it safe for usb devices

exdragon 22:14 14 Jun 2010

Ah - I didn't realise that, I thought it just turned off everything simultaneously. Thanks for that clarification.

woodchip 23:27 14 Jun 2010

If windows is turned off first it does not hurt to pull the plug on the drives

robin_x 23:47 14 Jun 2010

My Canon Printer takes less than 1W on standby. I never turn it off.

My Seagate 500GB ext desktop USB drive takes a few Watts. But it goes into Standby itself after 5 mins and takes bugger all.

Get a plugin LCD Power Meter from your local Pondshop and wander round your house measuring where your elec is going.

gazzaho 06:41 15 Jun 2010

I don't believe it's imperative to use Safely Remove Hardware before removing a device. I've never had a USB drive or any other device lose data or become corrupt because I forgot to do it, I just make sure the device isn't being accessed before I remove it.

In saying that however it wouldn't be a bad idea to get into a habit of using it as a precaution, to be honest I more often than not just forget to use it.

Here's a link explaining the need for it (click here)

Boghound 07:52 15 Jun 2010

Buy a proper UPS....Just hibernate the system at night....Re-boot at once a week...Switch your external drives off unless needed...I live in a hot country and the external drives don't have fans and get hot....Stuff the environment as far as power saving is concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61