Leaving external hard drives on?

exdragon 23:04 12 Jun 2010

Hi - I've just had a momentary power cut which naturally turned off all my computer stuff in the middle of what I was doing. I've got everything plugged into an Intellipoint 1click, including a couple of external drives and two printers.

I usually switch on/off the external drives and printers manually, because I thought you had to remove the drives via the 'Safely remove hardware' option in the System Tray, and each time the printers go on and off, they use ink doing a cleaning routine.

Also, I use Acronis to back up to the externals, but if I schedule the back ups and the drives aren't turned on, of course the back up doesn't happen.

Getting into a bit of a mess, aren't I!

So - do I leave everything on all day or do as I have been doing, manually turning the drives and printers on and off as required?

At least I backed up everything yesterday...

robin_x 23:47 14 Jun 2010

My Canon Printer takes less than 1W on standby. I never turn it off.

My Seagate 500GB ext desktop USB drive takes a few Watts. But it goes into Standby itself after 5 mins and takes bugger all.

Get a plugin LCD Power Meter from your local Pondshop and wander round your house measuring where your elec is going.

Boghound 07:52 15 Jun 2010

Buy a proper UPS....Just hibernate the system at night....Re-boot at once a week...Switch your external drives off unless needed...I live in a hot country and the external drives don't have fans and get hot....Stuff the environment as far as power saving is concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch