Learning javascript

AlegSpin 18:42 15 Sep 2003

Hi,

I have a fair amount of experience in WYSIWYG, but now would like to be able to write javascript myself. Could anyone recommend any javascript resources on the Internet so that I can learn it?

Thanks.

harristweed 20:09 15 Sep 2003

Why bother?

All the Java you could ever neeed is on the web already.

Check out

click here

click here

click here

powertool 21:11 15 Sep 2003

I taught myself HTML and thought I would like to learn javascript so I got a book called Javascript Goodies by Joe Burn who also wrote HTML Goodies which I found easy to use.

OK ... so lesson 1. I sat down to learn.

Now I am a reasonably bright bloke, but when I tried to write the scripts to answer the first exercises / homework set out I realised that I was struggling.

When I then checked the answers I realised that I could have set in a cell for 100 years and would never have got to those answers. A very humbling experience! Maybe I am not such a bright bloke after all?! I certainly think in a very different way to javascript.

However, I still read the rest of the book, and I feel that I can sort of 'read' a script even though I can't write them. This is a useful skill because it means that when you cut and paste a script from the internet you can change the variables and understand what you are doing - well with a few goes anyway!.

Personally I find it hard to learn from the screen and prefer books, but here is the link for 30 lessons on javascripting.

click here

Good luck with it!

Gaz 25 22:15 15 Sep 2003

Its not really worth using it...

All the code is mostly on the web now anyway, or can be made using Web authoring programs.

AlegSpin 11:55 16 Sep 2003

I am using FrontPage 98

:-(

It hasn't been that great. It frequently locks up for a time and then unfreezes. Any ideas why?

I didn't notice any easy javascript capability - is there any in that version?

Thanks.

Forum Editor 12:14 16 Sep 2003

is the version that most of us would rather forget. If you can, try to make your budget stretch to the newest version - FP2003, out in a couple of weeks. It's the best yet, by far, and will transform the way you work with FP.

zoomer 13:00 16 Sep 2003

lol @ powertool , did a small intro to Java at college and I`m convinced there is voodoo or something involved.......:=)

powertool,PHP is way easier than Javascript and consequently more rewarding

AlegSpin 13:43 16 Sep 2003

What does PHP mean, what are its uses and where can one learn it online?

zoomer 14:43 16 Sep 2003

I think in its initial incarnation it was called "Personal Home Page" but as it became more powerful I think it became referred to as Hypertext Preprocessor, methinks the best place to start would be click here though the little I have learned (how to write form mailing scripts+insert and retrieve data from MySQL database) I have learned from books as I much prefer books to sitting trawling through tutorials on dial up etc, not to mention with a book I can lie upside down on the sofa etc....:)
books I found helpul were "PHP and MySQL for Dummies" and IMO an excellent book "Beginning PHP" by Wrox Press

Gaz 25 17:20 16 Sep 2003

Yes, FP95 is a little too outdated.

I would buy on of the following:-

AceHTML: A great freebe web designer.

Namo web editor: One of the cheapest professional webpage designers and has lots of great features as well as vaidation of all sites created, it is worth is for £45

Frontpage 2003: Good, and also very expensive, but it can turn out good results if used correctly.

Dreamweaver: The one pros use. This is by far the best, but not easy to use. It is also very expensive just for a CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?