LCD Monitor

brambles 22:08 04 Aug 2004

I am considering purchasing a Dell Ultrasharp 1901FP 19inch monitor.

I am satisfied my graphics card can contend with the native resolution.

What has confused me a little is that the monitor has 4 X USB2 Ports. I am assuming these are for ancillaries?

I only have USB1 on my computer and I connect most things through a USB1 Hub.

I'm just trying to establish that I have no compatibility problems before I purchase.

Any observations appreciated.

Brambles

jonnytub 22:10 04 Aug 2004

usb 1 and 2 are compatible with each other and respective with regard to speed.

accord 22:15 04 Aug 2004

you wont have any problems with compatibility between usb 1 and 2. however, if you can afford it (approx £20), then buy and install an internal usb2 card, this will then give you true usb2 and also benefit from the usb2 ports in the monitor .

kittycat 22:16 04 Aug 2004

This will be an excellant buy. Dell TFT's are made by Samsung. Check you cannot get a better deal from them. I've just got a Samsung 192 TFT and it's superb, but we use Dell in work and they are identical. Happy viewing!!

kittycat 22:17 04 Aug 2004

This will be an excellant buy. Dell TFT's are made by Samsung. Check you cannot get a better deal from them. I've just got a Samsung 192 TFT and it's superb, but we use Dell in work and they are identical. Happy viewing!!

squareye 23:22 04 Aug 2004

USB 2 is a lot faster at data transfer than USB1, but is backwards compatable,ie USB2 enabled will run at USB1 speed if thats whats there, I agree with accord, its very easy to put in a card that gives you 4 or 5 USB2 ports, I got one from Comet, you only need a Phillips screwdriver, its detected automatically on XP, I didnt have to install drivers or adjust anything.

One possible thing to watch out for regarding the monitor is the dead pixel policy. I just got an Iiyama E431S, this company has a zero dead pixel policy, they will swap anything less than 100%; when I was checking LCD monitors out, I seem to remember that Samsung go with the BS standard that allows upto 7 dead pixels before it's accepted as a fault, Sod's Law dictates that the dead pixels will be bang in the middle, (just like chips in your car windscreen) so beware!

brambles 11:36 05 Aug 2004

Comments & recommendations much appreciated.

Brambles

Stuartli 14:52 05 Aug 2004

As a 17in LCD equates to a 19in CRT (I'm aware you mention a 19in TFT model) you might be interested in the fact that Staples has knocked £50 off a Samsung 17in TFT (£279).

It appears to be the SM172v judging by the illustration and specs (review at click here)

However, it doesn't seem to include USB ports and is analogue input, although the former can be acquired quite cheaply as pointed out by using a card.

SEASHANTY 15:30 05 Aug 2004

Ref the Samsung SyncMaster 192T 19" LCD monitor.
Comet, Rochdale, sold me the display model of this
yesterday for £349-99. Manufactured in UK Sept 2003.
They have lost the install CD which came with this model. I have downloaded the driver and manual from
samsung-monitor.com and Comet have ordered another CD. Was there anything else on the CD that you found useful. I have noticed there is something called Natural Colour Prog on the CD.

SEASHANTY 15:43 05 Aug 2004

Excellent 6 page review of the Samsung 19" TFT 192T
here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?