Latest MS Update in System Tray- How do I get rid?

rotormota 19:10 06 Jun 2006

I had an MS update the other day & it turned out to be a sort of star shaped system tray icon with the purpose of telling me that Service Pack 1 operating systems will not be supported after October.

I don't want it as a start up item. How do I get rid of it please?

Jackcoms 19:14 06 Jun 2006

Have you got Service Pack 2?

rotormota 19:17 06 Jun 2006

No because my PC does not like it. I tried installing a long time ago & there were issues.

VoG II 19:20 06 Jun 2006

Right click Taskbar, Properties. Customixe button, find the icon in the list and set to Always hide.

Jackcoms 19:21 06 Jun 2006

Well, I suggest that you have a dilemma.

MS will not support SP1 after October - which is another way of saying that it's time to get SP2.

What do you mean - "my PC does not like it".

Did you do any basic PC housekeeping before installing it?

rotormota 19:26 06 Jun 2006

Like many other PC users SP2 caused problems on install. I am happy with SP1 & I get all the updates for this anyway & have every security software required. When Vista comes out next year I shall upgrade to a new PC.

Stuartli 19:32 06 Jun 2006

I've never had problems with SP2 nor with systems I look after for friends and family; my son looks after hundrfeds of systems and he's had the same result.

ade.h 19:37 06 Jun 2006

On its initial release, SP2 refused to install on one of my PCs (XP Home), no matter what I tried (CD version and download). It's the only OS CD that I have that is not recent enough to include it. After I had a reason to reinstall Windows, I tried adding SP2 again and it was 100% fine.

Perhaps you should try it again, provided you do some thorough sring cleaning first, set a restore point and make a full system backup if you really want to be on the safe side.

De Marcus™ 19:41 06 Jun 2006

Or try slipstreaming XP sp2 and performing a repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts