Large Screen Tablet/Laptop

morddwyd 09:48 05 Feb 2014

My vision problems are such that I now need to start looking for larger screens, above 10 inches fo a tablet and above 15 for a laptop.

I know what's available of course and have seen various reviews, but I am looking for someone with hands-on experience.

I am fairly static so weight is not too much of a problem.

Woolwell 10:02 05 Feb 2014

Depends on what you want to use it for but my wife uses a 17" Samsung laptop that hasn't blinked at all. Have you considered linking tablet or laptop up to a TV?

Woolwell 10:06 05 Feb 2014

You may want to consider the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 but I'm not sure that it on sale in UK yet. I have an ASUS 11.6" ultraportable laptop which could be as light and as user friendly as a tablet at that size.

morddwyd 09:18 06 Feb 2014

Thanks Woolwell. I might hang on and await UK pricing on the Samsung Series 7 laptop, I should have mentioned I need touch screen.

I've got the normal Galaxy Note 2, and I've had a Galaxy 7 inch, the trouble with Samsung Android devices is the amount of dross that Samsung insist on pre-installing, and the length of time they make customers wait for o/s upgrades.

I might have to bite the bullet though!

Woolwell 10:39 06 Feb 2014

My Asus has a touch screen

wee eddie 15:57 06 Feb 2014

There are a couple of 20/22" Windows Tablets, both of which I am considering.

Both are currently hamstrung by not including the Haswell Chips and having traditional Hard Drives, rather than SSD's, meaning that they need large batteries or have a very short "Off Mains" life.

On a Home Network there is no longer a need for a large Hard Drive, built in, when you can have all your stuff on a local NAS Drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?