Large Files?

daveac41 21:45 11 Jul 2003

I have been attempting to "thin out" some unwanted files in order to gain space on my hard disk. While trying to wipe a Flight simulator game,right-clicking and checking the size showed the program size to be in the region of just under 3TB (terabytes)! Not easy on a 15Gb disk!
Can anyone please solve this one? I am using a W98SE system

Reformat 22:03 11 Jul 2003

Do you want to play FS or just gain space on your
15GB drive.
Delete the game or buy a bigger drive.

Ironman556 22:08 11 Jul 2003

If you can't delete the file try scandisk with all the options enablesd and see if it corrects the file size.

The method I use when I get a file "stuck" is to empty the folder of everything I might need. Delete the folder, and that should take the bad file with it. Then if you need to re-create the folder and move everything back.

daveac41 22:16 11 Jul 2003

Sorry- I should have added - it gives the message Cant Delete.( The subfile name completely different from real name & contains symbols) and tells me to change name and then doesn't let me change it!!

Megatyte 22:34 11 Jul 2003

Have you tried Add/Remove programs?

AH

Ironman556 22:56 11 Jul 2003

I've had the problem before. If you delete the folder containing the file, it should take the file with it.

Move everything but that file out as I said above, then delete.

daveac41 00:15 12 Jul 2003

Ironman556. Thanks but it won't let me delete it anyhow it says change file name but then still it wont delete. Also it doesn't appear in Add/Remove list, (strangely enough). That only includes files on Original disk , not second hard disk.
Could this be a connection problem. The games play ok

powerless 00:41 12 Jul 2003

Restart the computer and keep tapping the F8 key. Choose Safe mode from the menu and delete the file in safe mode.

daveac41 22:53 12 Jul 2003

Tks Powerless - I tried deleting it in in safe mode - still wouldn't budge!!!

daveac41 07:56 13 Jul 2003

Thanks Ironman556 ,and everybody - Scandisk straightened it out, so that I was able to finally delete , and reinstall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)