laptops-which screen size?

sheila.weston 13:00 12 Jan 2009

I am on the verge of buying a new laptop - probably a Toshiba SAT A300-1MC, with a 15.4" screen. I may be using it as a desktop replacement in the first instance (until windows 7 is available and over its teething troubles). I have a flat-screen 19" monitor and was thinking that I could use this.

BUT I am now wondering whether it would be easier to get one of the laptops with a 18.25" screen. I would be interested to have any advice on this. eg do you find it too awkward to carry about the house. I would like to link it to the TV for showing pictures, occasionally, perhaps.

rawprawn 13:40 12 Jan 2009

Not really advice, but I bought a Sony Vaio with a 17" screen 2 years ago to replace my desktop to save room.
I am delighted with, it and although it is really too heavy for use as a "portable" laptop it serves it's real purpose very well.
If I were you I would go for a laptop with the biggest screen if portability is not really your priority.

rawprawn 13:41 12 Jan 2009

It is no problem moving it about the house, by portability I meant taking it further afield to work for example.

sheila.weston 14:13 12 Jan 2009

Many thanks, rawprawn. Just what I need to know. I was looking at the Sony ones, also. I'll see if anyone else has any comments.

I am also wondering what the wide-screens are like when used for ordinary computer use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?