Laptops with small hard drives.

Pip56 19:15 12 Sep 2018

Hi if i buy a laptop with a single SSD drive it will only just have enough space for the operating system and a few other programmes. Can i use an external hard drive to store all of my document folders etc and other programmes needed to run on the laptop.

alanrwood 19:19 12 Sep 2018

Yes but what is the point. An external drive costs money so why not get a device with a sensible amount of drive space in the first place.

wee eddie 19:56 12 Sep 2018

125GB should be an absolute minimum. 32 & 64GB HD's are bringing nothing but problems, just the feedback here and elsewhere

Pip56 20:22 12 Sep 2018

I alread have 2tb external drive. Most laptops i have looked at only come with a 128gb SSD drive which is not big enough. I currently have a 128gb SSD drive in my laptop with a 1tb hard drive as well. The SSD drive is almost full just with operating system and Office etcso to have a laptop with just 128gb SSD will not be big enough. The minimum SSD drive would like is 512gb but the price jump is huge.

wee eddie 20:50 12 Sep 2018

Using an External Drive for storage of files and folders that you only need to access from time to time, makes sense.

But don't forget to back it up. All you need is to accidentally pull out the cable and you'll need the backup

I have 2 small folders of day to day stuff on my SSD. One personal and one for the Taxi. Backed up on the NAS Drive, movies and photos live on the HD.

alanrwood 10:47 13 Sep 2018

Why not buy the laptop and replace the 126GB SSD with a 480GB one. It is relatively easy to clone the original SSD to the new one.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs