thanks for reading this. i have got an advent laptop running on windows xp home but when i goto start it up my laptop wont start up normaly.when i press the power button the power on light comes on the caps and numbers loc lights flash on and off as normal and the fan comes on but nothing happens on the screen it just stays black. in two days ive tied about a dozen times to boot up but only once has it lit up the screen. but even the it froze on the welcome to windows screen which ment i had to turn it off and try again. nothing happend again when i booted up.
CAn you plug a monitor into it to check its not just the screen?
try a repair Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.