Laptop with a wi-fi conundrum

bovthedog 09:58 30 Nov 2015

Recently purchased an Acer Aspire laptop running Windows 10,could connect to internet no problem and bookmarked certain websites. Now I can only connect to the bookmarked websites and no other. My tablet has no problem connecting to any website. Took the laptop back to the vendor and it worked ok. Any ideas as to the problem?

Secret-Squirrel 11:34 30 Nov 2015

Took the laptop back to the vendor and it worked ok.

By that do you mean that it worked OK when connected to a different router but is still playing up when you brought it home? If you do then turn your own router off then back on. You may need to wait a minute or so for it settle down and reconnect to your ISP.

bovthedog 17:02 30 Nov 2015

Thanks SS. At the vendors it would connect to any website, yes on a different router. My router would seem to be ok because my tablet and another PC will connect. As I said the strange thing is the laptop will connect using my bookmarked websites but not non-bookmarked. It's as though the non-bookmarked websites are being blocked somehow. But how?

Secret-Squirrel 17:34 30 Nov 2015

My router would seem to be ok because my tablet and another PC will connect.

Does that mean you don't think my suggestion is worth trying?

A client phoned me the other day to say that her wireless-connected desktop PC couldn't get any webpages. Her husband's PC, also connected wirelessly, was unaffected as was her iPad. With those symptoms some folks might assume that there couldn't possibly anything wrong with the router. I gave her the same advice as you and she phoned back five minutes later to say her problem was fixed.

lotvic 20:03 30 Nov 2015

Additionally have a look to make sure you haven't checked 'Work Offline' as the bookmarked websites might be loading from your history cache and not the latest pages from the internet.

Ashrich 23:47 30 Nov 2015

click here will show you how to " forget " your corrupt wireless profile , after you have done that you can search for and reconnect to your wireless network with a new profile , that should sort things out

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)