Laptop turned off unexpectedly whilst working

ponytail 09:41 16 Mar 2018

I was in the middle of sending a reply to my post when the laptop turned off.As I was working downstairs and it was not plugged in I thought the battery was flat so took it upstairs and plugged it in and when I checked the battery level it said 79% consider replacing your battery.Does that mean the battery is at the end of it;s life.

ponytail 10:17 17 Mar 2018

I have now removed the battery and it is still working so does that mean I just need to get a replacement battery.

ponytail 10:24 17 Mar 2018

I have put the battery back in for now untill I get a replacement

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 17 Mar 2018

If its working Ok while plugged in then the battery is Useless

ponytail 10:35 17 Mar 2018

So just need to get a new battery but is it ok to leave the battery in untill I get a new one or just work off the mains power.

alanrwood 11:10 17 Mar 2018

Take your choice, it does not really matter unless the battery is overheating in which case remove it and only use mains power.

ponytail 14:41 17 Mar 2018

I have just come in after being out for about two hours ant the battery strength was showing 100% so I unplugged it and came on here and within two minutes it had turned off

alanrwood 15:21 17 Mar 2018

The battery is definitely knackered unless you have the laptop set to sleep after 2 mins when on battery power. Check power options.

ponytail 10:15 20 Mar 2018

Have ordered a replacement battery which should be here this week.

ponytail 09:09 25 Mar 2018

Have now fitted the new battery and it is working OK

leoaubrie 09:24 29 Mar 2018

as I said I still run it directly on charging if you dont move around much than the new battery can wait.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Chiara Luber brings vintage postcards to life in her summery ode to Hepburn and romance

Powerbeats Pro review

Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 4 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique