Laptop switches off when unplugged

pinkywoo 20:31 26 May 2017

My laptop has started to switch itself off after it has been unplugged for about 10 minutes. I used to leave it unplugged until it was almost out of charge but then it was going to 0% and I would get a message saying windows didn't shut down properly so I now leave it plugged in for about 4 or 5 hours at a time (which is when I'm using it). I did a diagnostic check which said I should replace the battery. It also said the battery was about 6 months older than I thought it was.

I phoned the shop where I bought it and they said the battery needed to be replaced because I had been leaving it plugged in and also that it wasn't unusual for a battery to be 6 months old when they sold it as it had been in storage. Does that sound about right?

Thank you for an replies.

rdave13 21:07 26 May 2017

Yes it's a dead battery. Try to get a battery for your laptop online which has more cells.

For my laptop I would search for a 12 cell battery. More expensive but will last a lot longer. It might be so bulky that it raises the backend of the laptop - which is a bonus for cooling.

Searching for my Pavilion G6 I get this, link , but I would search further just in case you find a better offer with same guarantee. Good luck.

pinkywoo 22:23 26 May 2017

Thank you. I'll have a look at the link. I just expected it to last longer than year. The one which came with the laptop lasted nearly 3 years.

Govan1x 10:19 27 May 2017

Try removing the battery and power cord. Holt the start button on for 50 seconds then reinstall the battery and power cord. See if that lets it hold the charge longer.

Some laptops only charge to 80% capacity. If you want it to charge the 100% you have to change the settings. Samsung laptops used to be like that but I dont know what other makers did the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?