Laptop suddenly won't connect to network

Logov 12:19 25 Dec 2009

Hi

I've been using my sony vaio (with vista)on a shared network at home for about a year without issue. All of a sudden it won't access the network at all. It sees the network which is usually at full strength, but when I click connect, and after a brief pause I get the message "cannot connect to network". I can connect to the network wirelessly from another pc but not with the laptop. Obviously something has changed but I'm at a loss to understand what or why.

Any ideas?

Graphicool1 13:08 25 Dec 2009

In case you've inadvertently deleted something by mistake do a 'System Restore' back to before this occurred.

Woolwell 17:33 25 Dec 2009

Try turning firewall off briefly.

User-1229748 17:40 25 Dec 2009

if you right click on your network icon bottom right of screen and click troubleshoot or repair what does the result say?

woodchip 17:49 25 Dec 2009

If you are using Wireless, as him if he as shanged the Router Encryption key

Logov 00:40 26 Dec 2009

I tried connecting via ethernet cable and that worked fine - so all router/network settings seem to be ok. I then retried connecting wirelessly but again no joy.

Have done System Restore but didn't solve the problem.

According to the "Windows Network Diagnostics": "Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason"

Perhaps this is a hardware problem as system was restored to a point when I know wireless access was possible and I can access network via cable but not without. If so what can I do?

User-1229748 12:40 26 Dec 2009

back up registry if you try this fix click here

User-1229748 12:42 26 Dec 2009

sorry scroll down to the fix

woodchip 14:37 26 Dec 2009

If I was you, go into router setup page and create a new encription for wireless, then put that into your Wireless Laptop Network Settings. Before you leave setup page make note of the SSID you may need that also

Halmer 15:01 26 Dec 2009

it by uninstalling then reinstalling the network adaptor thro device manager.

Logov 08:18 27 Dec 2009

I tried the registry fix - no joy.

Unistalled and reinstalled network adapter - no joy.

I'm now thinking there may be an issue with the router's wireless settings as I tried wireless access with another laptop and that too couldn't connect whilst being able to do so via ethernet cable.
Router is a Linksys WAG200G. Have had this for around 2 years and has been flawless up until now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)