Hot Topics

Laptop shuts off randomly

Caesar Vorhees 11:52 22 Jan 2020

I have a 2009 acer aspire 4736z running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, the issue is when ever I power on the laptop roughly after 15-30 minutes max (without connecting to network)it will shuts off. if I connect to a network it only last for about 5-10min max, then it shut off again. it just shut off completely, I had to press the power button to turn it back on.

Then when I tried to power it back on just right after it boot to windows (with the Taskbar and loaded the wallpaper) it turn off again, then I repeat the process until it didn't turn off by itself (took several try)

I've tried clean install , still the same problem,the only way that it didn't turn off is in safe mode, It can last forever in safe mode no problem. I even try safemode with networking, still works like a charm

What could be the problem? And what necessary action should I take to fix this?

oh and I run the laptop via hdmi to av converter then connected it to my crt tv (the big fat one) could this be possibly the issue? But it works okay on safemode?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 22 Jan 2020

If it works in safe mode and not in normal mode then it is quite often drivers causing the problem.

Try updating or uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to see if that solves the problem.

Caesar Vorhees 10:56 25 Jan 2020

I think it's due to my thermal paste, I remember that years ago, probably somewhat in 2018 I had disassemble the laptop and take out the fan to clean it then put it on again without replacing the thermal paste, Already order a thermal paste and rubbing alcohol online, maybe this will fix the shut off problem, I'll get back here for the result.

wee eddie 11:32 25 Jan 2020

As far as I know, there is no Thermal Paste involved in the attachment of the fan.

However, if you removed the Heatsink, which is connected to the Processor using a clip and Thermal Paste, you may be right.

Caesar Vorhees 04:45 27 Jan 2020

Yes, I did remove the heat sink,if I remember correctly I even touch the thermal paste back then lol didn't even know that I wasnt suppose to

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Can you see the bottle in this Coke ad?

New iPhone 12 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs drones pas chers (2020)